Shackletons Tiger Fishing Lodge is situated on the upper Zambezi River in south-western Zambia near the village of Mwandi (meaning place of ‘plenty fish’). The lodge is approximately 140km west of Livingstone (Zambia), 90 km west of Kazungula Ferry (Zambia / Botswana border), 5km west of Mwandi and 55km east of Sesheke (Zambia / Namibia border).
This places Shackletons in the heart of ‘Tiger Country’ – home to the fearless tigerfish.
Co-ordinates: S17 29.821 E24 46.502
Shackletons can be easily reached by air and road.
Shackletons Tiger Fishing Lodge
Co-ordinates: S17 29.821 E24 46.502
Getting to Shackletons by Air
British Airways, South African Airways and Kulula offer daily flights between O.R. Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg, South Africa) and Livingstone International Airport (Livingstone, Zambia). Approximate flying time is 1 hour 40 minutes.
The nearest landing strip to Shackletons Tiger Fishing Lodge is Katima Mulilo Airport (MPA), previously called Mpacha Airport, in Namibia. This airport is 90 km from Shackletons.
Runway: Category 4 / Length – 2 292m / Width – 30m / Fire Fighting Category 3.
Fuel: NAC (Namibia Airports Company) have contracted the following service providers for efficient supply of fuel to the airlines at Katima Mulilo Airport: Jet A1 fuel, AV Gas by SEC.
Contact: PO Box 1811, Katima Mulilo, Namibia / Phone: +264 (0) 66 254 404 / Fax: +264 (0) 66 254 405 / E-Mail: email@example.com.
Note: The landing strip at Sesheke Airport (SQJ) is NOT in service.
Shackletons Tiger Fishing lodge provides road transfer from/to the following places:
- Livingstone International Airport (Livingstone, Zambia): Distance -140 km. Travelling time – approx 3 hours.
- Hotels in Livingstone (Zambia): Distance -140 km. Travelling time – approx 3 hours..
- Kazungula Ferry (Zambian side): Distance – 80 km. Travelling time – approx 2 hours 15 mins.
- Katima Mulilo Airport (Nambia): Distance – 90 km. Travelling time – approx 3 hours (dependent how long it takes to get through the Namibian/Zambian border posts of Katima Mulilo and Sesheke).
Shackletons Tiger Fishing Lodge does NOT provide road transfers from/to the following places:
- Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe): You will need to arrange with your tour operator to transfer you from Victoria Falls to either the Victoria Falls Avani Resort in Livingstone (Zambia) or Livingstone International Airport (Zambia), from where we will provide the road transfer.
- Kasane (Botswana): You will need to arrange with your tour operator to transfer you from Kasane (Botswana) to the Zambian side of Kazungula Ferry (Zambia/Botswana border post), from where we will provide the road transfer to Shackletons.
- Lusaka (Zambia): Lusaka is 625 km from Shackletons. You will need to fly from Lusaka to Livingstone, from where we will provide the road transfer to Shackletons. Proflight fly daily between Lusaka (Zambia) and Livingstone (Zambia).
Getting to Shackletons by Road
You can easily reach Shackletons Tiger Fishing Lodge by road in a sedan vehicle:
Shackletons is easily accessible on the Livingstone/Sesheke Road (M10), a tarred road (watch the potholes) that connects Livingstone and Sesheke. The turn-off to Shackletons is 140 km from Livingstone, 6km from the Mwandi turnoff or 55 km from Sesheke. There is a 3 ½ km Kalahari sand road that leads down to Shackletons on the upper Zambezi River. This road is suitable for sedan vehicles all year round.
Recommended ports of entry into Zambia: From South Africa – Kazungula Ferry (Botswana); From Zimbabwe – Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe); From Namibia – Katima Mulilo (Namibia).